« »

East Timor Legal New now on East Timor Law and Justice Bulletin

East Timor legal news continues on in the East Timor Law and Justice Bulletin. ETLJB covers the period from 2008 to the present. The archive and ETLB span almost a decade. It is by no means a comprehensive archive of legal news from East Timor but does cover many subjects and sources that have been of critical importance in the development of East Timor's legal culture since the catastrophic disintegration of the rule of law in 2006. Relates sources are East Timor Law Journal, East Timor Land Studies and United Nations Police in East Timor Security Reports for the period 2006-2008.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Timor-Leste Legal News June 2008 (Part 2)

MP questions Horta's pardon Suara Timor Lorosae - The PSD Member of Parliament, Vidal Sarmento 'Riak Leman', has questioned the pardon given by President José Ramos-Horta to Rogerio Tiago Lobato, the former Minister of Interior, arguing that as a criminal, Mr Lobato did not deserve the pardon.

"I think that the pardon of President Horta to Rogerio is not good. It is not good when a criminal who just spent two months in prison before going abroad for medical treatment receives a pardon for half of his sentence," said Mr. Riak Leman on Monday (2/6) in the National Parliament. Mr Leman also said that he believes PR Horta's pardon to Lobato should have acceptance from the public, especially the victims of the weapons' distribution that Lobato is alleged to have been involved in May 2006. 

UNDERTIM demands that Fretilin stop early election's campaign Suara Timor Lorrosa'e - UNDERTIM President Cornelio Gama 'L-7' has demanded that Fretilin stop their campaign to hold early elections. He said that Fretilin has to provide an opportunity for the Government to improve people's life through development.

According to L-7, it is difficult to have an early election as people are not prepared yet. He suggested that Fretilin should consider the progress made so far by the AMP Government and to provide constructive criticism when needed, rather than to demand early elections.

PNTL violates law: UN asks Govt to take action Suara Timor Lorosa'e - The Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) Atul Khare is asking the AMP Government to take immediate action against the members of the Defence Forces of Timor-Leste (F-FDTL) and the National Police of Timor-Leste (PNTL) who have committed human rights violations.

"There are some members of F-FDTL and PNTL who have violated human rights," said SRSG Khare after his weekly meeting with President Horta on Monday (2/6) in Farol, Dili. SRSG Khare has asked the F-FDTL Commander Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak and the National Parliament to investigate the allegations of human rights violations. "If the investigation proves that violations have occurred, we will take action," added SRSG Khare.

During the meeting, the SRSG and President Horta also discussed how to accelerate the reform of the PNTL. SRSG Khare said that in a short time, the United Nations Police (UNPol) based in the districts will hand over to the PNTL, but will still maintain a presence in the districts.

NP asks F-FDTL to withdraw from Ermera Suara Timor Lorosae - The PUN MP Joao Maia yesterday claimed that the F-FDTL soldiers still operating in Ermera are considered illegal as there is no recognition of their work from Parliament. "It's illegal, so they (F-FDTL) have to retire. The state of siege ended last month on 23 of May. I ask the F-FDTL to explain what they are doing and on what basis are they still continuing their operation," said Mr Maia.

Mr Maia added that they had violated the law, and if the were still continuing their investigations, such as the search for illegal weapons, then the Government should present their case to the Parliament. "Their presence in Ermera is just nonsense- they go to the market and beat the youth." Responding to this, CNRT MP Duarte Nunes said that the F-FDTL presence in Ermera is not illegal and is based on the organic law of the PNTL law.

Tara: difficult for the petitioners to return to F-FDTL Timor Post - After the government announced to the public that some of the petitioners would be returning to the F-FDTL, the coordinator of petitioners, Agusto de Jesus 'Tara', said that this would be difficult. "It's to hard for us [petitioners] to return to the F-FDTL because our big brother from F-FDTL will not welcome us, specially Maun Lere who made the comment that if we returned, he (Lere) would have his members leave and form a petitioner's group. So from our perspective, it's really hard for us to return," said Major Tara on Monday (2/6).

Major Tara also said that the statement of Colonel Lere would greatly impact on the petitioners who want to return to the military. He also said that any decision made by the Government will be warmly welcomed for the sake of freedom and stability of people and the nation.

Pessoa asks for report on high numbers of advisors employed within the finance ministry – Televisaun Timor-Leste - Fretilin MP Ana Pessoa has asked for a written report from the Ministry of Finance explaining the high numbers of advisors employed in the ministry as well as to explain the Government's decision to give financial assistance to NGOs that support the Government's programs.

"I never heard of so many advisors employed in a ministry. It is normal that in any ministry there are two or three advisors. Why should a ministry employ 10-60 advisors?" asked Ms Pessoa. "Why should they not employ Timorese people in such positions? Why do not they value Timorese capability?"

The Minister of Finance, Emilia Minister Pires, responded that "talking about finance it is big and complex. All areas, including budgeting and treasury need skilled people. We do have 18 long term advisors and other short term advisors- they are employed when needed." Related to the financial assistance to NGOs [ETDA], Minister Pires said that it was the decision of the Government.

Fernando Lasama: AMP always works with ASDT party Diario Nacional - The President of the National Parliament Fernando Lasama de Araujo has said that AMP is always together with the ASDT party, although the President of the ASDT Francisco Xavier do Amaral has declared that his party no longer has any responsibility in making decisions with the AMP Government.

"There has been no formal notification that the ASDT party has pulled itself from the AMP alliance, but it was stated in a document that ASDT no longer has a responsibility in making decisions with the AMP," said the National President Fernando Lasama de Araujo in the National Parliament(02/06).

Source: UNMIT Daily Media Review 03 June 2008 Archived by Warren L. Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment